House Portraits

Sunday 24 July 2011

My final year... Term 1

In the first term of my final year, Major project A was split into two projects. The first was a book cover project, where we had Illustrator, Daren Newman, come in to brief us. This was a book cover he was working on himself, for author Alma Katsu. The brief required certain elements to be present in the illustration - a magic potion bottle, roses with thorny branches and a heart. It was also to have a gothic, ornate appeal and so I went for a bit of first hand research to York, primarily to visit the York Minster. I got lots of ideas for little details to draw from the architecture.



In the next brief, I was asked to come up with a way to visually communicate music to it's listeners. I chose to make a story book out of a song, using the lyrics as the text. I used the song, Dedicated Follower of Fashion by The Kinks.

The song is character based, and unlike the majority of songs, is not about that old chestnut, love! Also, because of this character in particular and his love for fashion, it gave me lots of ideas of ways to work with all my old fabrics and use lots of colour. I used to study Fashion Design (maybe I'll do a post about that some time!), so I do have a love for texture and fabric even though I will probably never sew a zip again in my life or get excited over Vogue magazine...

Here are just three of the seven final pieces I made.

 


I incorporated lots of collage and very intricate cutting in some places, as shown in the following photo! For some reason, I get a bit of a weird buzz from cutting out teeny weeny things like this, which is strange because it can be quite stressful and, after a while, painful.



No comments:

Post a Comment