House Portraits

Tuesday 21 January 2020

Cervical Cancer Prevention Week




It never ceases to amaze me how quick the smear test is. Even though I’m not usually nervous about it, there’s always a small part of me that thinks it’s going to be worse than it is. My most recent was last year and the actual test only took a couple of minutes. Around that time, it was in the news that numbers of women going for their screenings had dropped to their lowest in 20 years. 

A survey by Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust revealed that almost 1 in 3 women aged 25-64 had never had never been for a smear test and 81% said they felt embarrassed about it. Please don’t let that feeling stop you going for your screening. When I’m going for my test, I always remind myself that the doctors or nurses who perform the screenings see intimate body parts all day long. They’re not judging you. It’s no big deal to them. Yours could be the 23rd they’ve seen that day, or the 200th they’ve seen that month. 

This week is Cervical Cancer Prevention week, so I thought I’d share this today. I’m so grateful that I live in a country where it’s free to get tested and the NHS will remind me when my test due. Please don’t let fear stop you… it’s 5 minutes every 3-5 years that could save your life ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment